Thursday, August 2, 2012

A Deeper Appreciation for The Olympics and The Athletes

With the Olympics being in the news everywhere, I can't help but immerse myself in that newfound world these days. I am not an athlete but I'm gaining much interest in the Olympics. When I was a kid, I used to see it in TV but I didn't pay attention. However, now that I'm a grown up, I am seeing it in a different perspective. Watching all those athletes from all over the world compete with each other, it's just amazing! No doubt, they're the best of the best, creme de la creme of their respective countries. And reading all those articles in the internet about them: their stories, their dreams, their sacrifices, gives me all the more reason to understand how much discipline, effort, dedication, and hard work they've put into it and how their sports mean so much to them.

Being in the Olympics is already a big accomplishment but for most, if not all, winning the games and having  gold medals is the number one goal. Yes, I know. But then again, I think that a good athlete, even though he/she didn't get the gold medal, but knows in his heart that he has done his best, is still a victor.

To all the athletes of the 2012 London Olympics, I salute you! Thank you for bringing honor not only for yourself, but for your nation as well.


No comments: