Saturday, July 2, 2011

On being a foreigner: Experiencing things here in Korea that I wouldn't normally do in the Philippines

It’s Friday, Friday
Gotta get down on Friday
Everybody’s lookin’ forward to the weekend, weekend

That song was actually playing in my mind this morning. Friday once again! Yey! I'm one happy human being! And since it's Friday night now, I am able to sit here in my bed and forget (in the meantime) my lab tasks/problems and of course, do what I am doing now, blogging!

Living in a foreign country has positive and negative effects but all in all, it's a very enriching experience. For one, I am able to do things here in Korea which I wouldn't normally do in the Philippines. Yes, one advantage of being a foreigner is that you'll be able to do whatever you like (as long as you're not breaking the law, of course) without getting those serious-"What the heck are you thinking?"-looks from other people (well sometimes you still get it though, but they understand it because you're different from them). So I just want to share such experiences:
  • walking barefoot in the streets of North gate and in the KNU grounds on our way back to the dorm. we conquered the KNU grounds barefooted!
  • singing in norebang/norebooth/videoke (even if I'm not gifted in the vocals department)
  • dancing in the club (G2! w/ free drinks every wed!♥)
  • drinking different kinds of alcohol in just one sitting (beer, soju, mekju, magkoli, wine)
  • walking under the sun w/out umbrella (but since it's already blazing hot here, i am now starting to bring one)
  • working in the lab for 12hrs(even experienced staying up to 18hrs)
  • wearing dresses and shorts without worrying how other people will react(they don't mind since it's just common to see people here dressed fashionably)
  • swimming in a one-piece bathing suit (which i'll be experiencing tomorrow, courage pls?)
Those are definitely one of the best and memorable experiences that I will treasure in my lifetime. And I'm hoping to to add more. And I leave you with this (you might have heard it already but it'll also serve as a reminder): Live your dream! Live life to the fullest and enjoy every moment of it!  =)

Okay, so I'm a little bit sleepy now. Tomorrow is the big day! I'll be taking the plunge and try swimming again. Good luck to me!

No comments: